Funds required / Dana diperlukan:
Phase 1 : RM81,620
Phase 2: RM45,000
Phase 3: RM55,000
Phase 4 : RM45,000
Total funds needed : RM 226,620
No. of students impacted / Bil. murid diimpak: 90
Name of school / Nama sekolah: United Learning Centre
State / Negeri: KUALA LUMPUR
A sanctuary turning into a dangerous trap.
United Learning Center is a refugee school for Myanmar children located in Bukit Bintang. In 2011, it was set up as a safe space where students can come and learn. We currently have 30 day school students and another 60 students whose parents are unable to care for them in our boarding dorms. I have included more information on the school below.
Our school is a bungalow which is a very old structure that has been left empty for many years waiting for re-development when we moved in in 2011.The kind landlord and her angel team allowed us to rent it for a token sum of RM 1000 but all repairs are borne by us.
We do the little we can with our resources, but now the situation has become desperate. After 5 years, it has turned into a trap endangering the little lives and a threat to hygiene as rats, bedbugs have made it their home as well. Cracks and broken ceilings are places where these pests have festered. Unless we totally revamp the premises, there is no way to exterminate the problem. Total cost for renovation is RM 226,620 after partial sponsorship by the contractors and some in-kind donation.
Leaking roofs and exposed wires are accidents waiting to happen. Classes also have to stop every time it rains.
The ceiling is broken, and the rats have made their nests above it.
The cement floor is broken so it becomes very muddy every time it rains.
The water pipes are clogged. Only 1 tap is working; this is where school students wash their vegetables and meat, do their dishes, and take their shower.
The dormitory needs to be fixed. The mattresses are also now bug-infested.
We are very grateful to have some donations for new mattresses and other in-kind support in terms of redesigning and planning how to optimise our premises. The first stage of restoration will begin this month during the school holidays and we will need RM 81,620 for new cabins, refurbishment and roof for outside dining area. To donate, simply click on the yellow button that says "Fund this project" at the top of your screen. Please, please help us - every little bit counts!
UPDATE: We have found a generous donor who is willing to match 50% of donations for Phase 1 - so we just have to hit RM40,810!
- 90 - 100 students come to the centre daily; 60 of whom are boarding at the school
- Both day students and boarding school students are provided with food, education, outings and medical care and basic needs
- These children were not getting proper care, and loitering in the streets, as they did not have the luxury of maids or relatives to watch over them while their parents work at low paying jobs all day
- Because of the lack of security and care for them, they were exposed to the danger of human, drug and organ traffickers that are always on the prowl for helpless and desperate victims
- We have been blessed by the community who has contributed to enrich these children's lives in anyway, from outings, to after-school events, to training for our volunteer teachers.
- You can check out our Facebook page here.
Phase 1: RM81 620
New cabins, refurbishment and roof for outside dining area. (Please see quotation below)
Phase 2: RM45,000
Renovation of the existing building and new fencing
Phase 3: RM55,000
Kitchen, built-in furniture and toilet cubicles
Phase 4: RM 45,000
Loose furniture and landscaping
* Full detailed plan available upon request.