Funds required / Dana diperlukan: RM 6423.60
Phase 1: RM81,620 Phase 2: RM71,608
RM55,000 RM6,423.60 Phase 4: RM45,000
No. of students impacted / Bil. murid diimpak: 90 - 100
Name of school / Nama sekolah: United Learning Centre
State / Negeri: KUALA LUMPUR
United Learning Center is a refugee school for Myanmar children located in Bukit Bintang. In 2011, it was set up as a safe space where students can come and learn. We currently have 30 day school students and another 60 students in our boarding dorm whose parents are unable to care for them. I have included more information on the school below.
Our school is a bungalow which is a very old structure that has been left empty for many years waiting for re-development when we moved in in 2011.The kind landlord and her angel team allowed us to rent it for a token sum of RM 1000 but all repairs are borne by us.
Phase 2 of this project has been completed and we have managed to build more conducive sleeping areas for the children.
We are now continuing phase 3, which is to revamp our kitchen area for a healthier and comfortable space for the children. Currently, our kitchen is everywhere and in not very great shape. We have cooking appliances that are rusty and dangerous to be used. With no proper storage to keep our kitchenware, we have had to use any storage compartments we can salvage to keep away our pots and pans safely and away from children. Furthermore, we had to fill in buckets of slimy water outside to be able to wash our vegetables and have the children to wash their dishes. Not only is it uncomfortable for them, they are also exposed to an unhealthy surrounding with the amount of dirt and green slime thats been collecting near the drain.
This is where we keep our pots, pans and cooking appliances
Indoor kitchen area
Where we wash our vegetables and dishes
We are very grateful for the contributions to build the dormitories. And due to the kind donations of items and supplies for the kitchen, the remaining funds we need left to fix major issues is reduced from RM55,000 to only RM6,423.60. We are so close to the finishing line and we need your help. To donate, simply click on the yellow button that says "Fund this project" at the top of your screen. Please, please help us - every little bit counts!
Co Founder & CBO (Chief Begging Officer )
- 90 - 100 students come to the centre daily; 60 of whom are boarding at the school
- Both day students and boarding school students are provided with food, education, outings and medical care and basic needs
- These children were not getting proper care, and loitering in the streets, as they did not have the luxury of maids or relatives to watch over them while their parents work at low paying jobs all day
- Because of the lack of security and care for them, they were exposed to the danger of human, drug and organ traffickers that are always on the prowl for helpless and desperate victims
- We have been blessed by the community who has contributed to enrich these children's lives in anyway, from outings, to after-school events, to training for our volunteer teachers.
- You can check out our Facebook page here.
Phase 1: RM81,620
New cabins for classrooms.
Phase 2: RM71,608.30
Renovation of the existing building (Please see quotations below)
Phase 3: RM 6,423.60
Phase 4: RM 45,000
Loose furniture and landscaping.
* Full detailed plan available upon request.