Robotics is a wonderful platform for learning 21st century skills. Solving robotic challenges encourages innovation and develops creativity and problem-solving skills in students. Robotics crosses multiple curricular subjects, students must learn and apply their knowledge of science, technology, engineering, math, and computer programming. The most rewarding part of designing robots is that students have fun. They work together as a team, discovering their own solutions. At the end of the Robot Olympics, at the end of a fair competition, students can say they did their best, they learned, and they had fun!
International Robot Olympics 2019 consist of 5 interesting events; Sumo, Tug of War, Car Racing, Archery and Bowling. It is to provide a powerful learning platform to enable students to cope with STEM knowledge and skills which are essential for success in the 21st century. The basis of this tournament in a cheerful atmosphere, where students need to solve a few missions with the help of a robot. The participants are researching a given problem within a team, they are planning programming and testing an autonomous robot to solve the mission. The robotics teams take the opportunity to experience all steps of a real product development process: solving a problem under time pressure with insufficient resources and unknown competitors.
- To help students build a solid foundation in mathematics, science, technology, design and ICT through hands-on experience or investigation.
- To train students to work together to solve challenging problems in a spirit of cooperation and collaboration.
- To enable students to develop logical and systematic thinking as they plan and implement programmes through the programming of robots.
- To enhance students’ creativity in problem solving and raise their awareness of the many possible ways of arriving at a desired outcome.
- To promote competition in robotics amongst Malaysian school students as a healthy and fulfilling pastime.
The expected outcome of this project is to develop and strengthen critical and creative thinking and social skills those are essential prerequisites for success in further studies and future careers. These skills include:Problem-solving skills, Creative thinking skills, Interpersonal communication Skills and Collaborative teamwork skills.
1. Medal for participants (RM 10 x 500) = RM 5000
2. certificate for participants (500), mentors (100), committees (200) = RM 800
3. Trophy for winners : (RM 40 x 10) = RM 400
4. cash rewards for winners （Junior and senior category) : RM 1200
a） First prize: RM 300 x 2 = RM 600
b) First Runner-up : RM 200 x 2 = RM 400
c) Second Runner-up : RM 100 x 2 = RM 200
5. Rewards for contributors (RM10 x 20) = RM 200